Delicious Vegan, Gluten-Free Recipe : Banana Squash and Dark Chocolate Muffins
Makes 12 muffins
To make these healthy, vegan and gluten-free, banana squash and dark chocolate muffins you will need :
2 cups gluten-free flour, I use La Merveilleuse flour
1 teaspoon xanthan gum if your flour does not already contain it
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
A pinch of salt
1 medium overripe banana, mashed with a fork
1 cup baked squash*, cooled
½ cup of extra virgin olive oil
1 ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
½ cup maple syrup
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup hemp seeds
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 cup ground flax seeds
½ cup (or more to taste) vegan dark chocolate chips
* To prepare baked Butternut squash :
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Using a large, sturdy knife, cut your butternut squash in half lengthwise.
- Scoop out the seeds and stringy bits from each half and discard.
- Brush with olive oil, coating the entire surface of the squash flesh. Then lay cut-side down on to a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Roast in the oven for approximately 45-60 minutes, or until soft, and fork-tender.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool. Scoop flesh from the skin. You can freeze your squash puree in an airtight container and use as needed in your favorite recipes.
- Preheat the ovens to 375oF. Grease a 12 cup muffin tin.
- Whisk the dry ingredients (leave out the dark chocolate chips) together in a bowl.
- Thoroughly combine all the wet and dry ingredients together and add half of your chocolate chips.
- Evenly divide the batter among the 12 muffin cups. Decorate your muffins with the leftover chocolate chips.
- Bake until the muffins are browned and a toothpick comes out clean, 25-30 minutes.
Stay tuned for more healthy, gluten-free vegan recipes in my future posts! You can subscribe to the Green to Glass newsletter and receive notifications of new videos and recipes by email on a monthly basis.