Chinese five-spice tofu recipe
This vegan dinner is perfect for any occasion.
Marinade for this tofu recipe
1 cup vegetable stock
1/2 cup tamari or soy sauce
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons roasted sesame oil
4 garlic cloves, crushed
4 tablespoons grated ginger
2 teaspoons five-spice powder
2 tablespoons organic cane sugar
4 teaspoons cornstarch or tapioca starch mixed with 8 teaspoons of water
Salt to taste
1 block (454g) firm tofu cut in 1/2 inch cubes
Rice vermicelli or basmati wholegrain rice
5-6 cups choice of chopped vegetables to stir-fry (broccoli, bok choy, cabbage, peppers, onions, etc.)
To make this tofu recipe :
- First, you mix all the marinade ingredients in a large bowl. Then you add the sliced tofu and let it marinate for at least 30 min.
- Second of all, you must remove the tofu from marinade and drip the excess liquid. It is important that you put the marinade aside for the sauce preparation.
- Third step, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, you will cook the tofu cubes until they are golden brown on each side. Then you remove tofu from the skillet and you put it aside on a plate.
- Fourth step, you heat the sesame oil in skillet and you stir-fry your vegetables until they are lightly cooked but still crunchy.
- Finally, you add the five-spice marinade, the cornstarch mixture and the tofu slices and you stir constantly until the sauce thickens.
- You can serve your tofu stir-fry on rice vermicelli or basmati wholegrain rice.
Protein content per serving: 8g (excluding the protein content of the vegetables, rice and noodles served with the five-spice tofu)
Are you ready to start planning your meals and making better food choices for you and your family? Stay tuned for more healthy vegan meal recipes in my future posts! You can subscribe to this blog, in the subscription area on this page. Notifications of new posts and recipes you be sent to you monthly by email.