In this video, I demonstrate how to make Rejuvelac with filtered water, quinoa or buckwheat seeds. It’s a natural probiotic drink, and a key ingredient for making fabulous vegan cheeses. Vegan, sugar-free, caffeine-free, and gluten-free, it’s a great source beneficial bacteria and digestive enzymes. Rejuvelac is especially easy to ferment because, unlike kombucha, it doesn’t need a starter; it is SCOBY-free. It’s also surprisingly tasty, refreshing, and affordable!
Rejuvelac is a non-alcoholic, fermented liquid made from grains. The grains should be sprouted first for added nutrition. You can use any grains. I used quinoa and buckwheat because they are gluten-free.
A healthy digestive system is essential to the body’s overall well-being, so improving your digestion is one of the most important steps you can take to improving your health.
- Whole (preferably organic) grain, sprouted
- A two-quart, wide-mouth mason jar
- Sprouting lid or cheesecloth
- Purified or filtered water
- Measure 1/4 of a cup of grain, which have been soaked, put them in a jar and cover them with water. Some people say it’s a good idea to add a squeeze of lemon to help it ferment.
- Cover the jar with a sprouting lid or cheesecloth and place it in a dark place at room temperature (70 degrees) for about three days.
- Check out the rejuvelac each day, as it could take two to five days to ferment, depending on external temperatures. When it smells yeasty and sweet, it is done. If a layer of white foam forms at the top, lift it off with a spoon.
- Strain the rejuvelac and drink immediately or store in the refrigerator. When it’s done, the liquid should be yellowish, cloudy and slightly sweet and tart but not too sour. It will also be slightly carbonated, with a slight lemon taste.
- Repeat these steps each day, adding more water to the grains. Only repeat for a couple batches.
How to use rejuvelac
- Drink it daily as a drink or a tonic for improved digestion and health. To take it as a tonic, drink about four ounces or less at different times per day to improve digestion; taking it 20 minutes before a meal is suggested.
- If you don’t want to use it daily, drink it at least one week of every month to renew your intestinal flora.
- Drink it as a sports drink for energy.
- Use it as a hangover cure.
- Use cooled boiled water for soaking, rinsing and fermenting. It’s also a good idea to boil your jars before using.
- If you’re rejuvelac develops mold or it has a putrid or very sharp odor, throw it away.
- Use homemade rejuvelac in five to seven days.
- Add ginger, cinnamon, mint, lemon, lime, honey, stevia or fruit before drinking to improve the taste.
- Rejuvelac can be used to replace the water in smoothies.
- Use it as a starter for making nut and seed cheeses.
Subscribe to watch all my future videos! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCI32…
Follow me on Instagram! https://www.instagram.com/green_to_glass/
Like my Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/greentoglass/