Delicious pulled jackfruit in BBQ sauce. This recipe is a wonderful vegan alternative of the traditional pulled porc in BBQ sauce.
Jackfruit is an exotic fruit from South India and its texture is comparable to shredded meat! Unlike porc, which has no fiber and is rich in saturated fats, jackfruit contains high amounts of vitamin C and antioxidants to help boost your immune system.
Yields about 4 portions
Ingredients for the Pulled Jackfruit in BBQ Sauce
2 cans (20 oz or 565g) of young jackfruit in water
2-4 tablespoons of vegetable oil (avocado oil or olive oil for example)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 small onion
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons tamari sauce
160 ml tomato paste
5 Medjool dates or 8 small dates, pitted
60 ml (1/4 cup) water
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon Blackstrap molasses or maple syrup
Salt and pepper to taste
Your favorite hamburger buns (to fill with the pulled jackfruit in BBQ sauce – yields 4 to 6 sandwiches)
For the BBQ sauce
- Heat the oil in a small pot, and sauté the onion and garlic a few minutes.
- Add the vinegar and the tamari sauce and bring to a boil about 2 minutes.
- Incorporate the remaining ingredients and leave to simmer a few minutes.
- Puree your sauce with a hand held or regular blender.
- Store the sauce in an airtight container and keep in the fridge or set aside for your jackfruit recipe.
- The sauce will keep a few weeks in the fridge.
For the jackfruit
- Open your jackfruit cans and drain the liquid. Wipe off the excess moisture on your jackfruit.
- To prune the jackfruit, remove the hard dense portions and the bulb-like pieces. Use your fingers or a fork to pull it apart into stringy pieces.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil (olive, avocado, etc.) in a medium non-stick pan, and add your jackfruit.
- Sauté the jackfruit until your pieces are lightly browned.
- Add the BBQ sauce and mix well with your jackfruit. Continue to cook a few minutes and season to taste.
- Serve inside your favorite hamburger buns with sweet potato fries.
Your BBQ jackfruit will keep for a few weeks in an airtight container in your fridge.
Stay tuned for more healthy vegan ingredients and product suggestions in my future posts! You can subscribe to this blog and receive new posts and videos by email.